Sharks Fall to Monks in Double Overtime

Sharks Fall to Monks in Double Overtime

BOSTON, Mass. -- Simmons Soccer battled the Saint Joseph's College Monks into the 108th minute of overtime before the visitors converted on a free kick to win 1-0 Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action. Danielle Daigle tipped a free kick by Lauren Chouinard past Simmons goalkeeper Briana Hayes (Manorville, N.Y.) for the win.


The opening stanza was filled with opportunities by both teams. Five minutes into the half, Kim Jordan pressured the Sharks defense with a one on one opportunity but first year Tegan Dougherty (Northfield, N.H.)) forced the ball out of play. Nine minutes in, the Monks were awarded a corner kick taken by Megen Pollini but Simmons sophomore Ali Berkman (Natick, Mass.) was able to clear the zone for the Sharks. Simmons had another quality chance when Keri Acheson (Peabody, Mass.) sent a through ball to Greer Gilbert (Falmouth, Mass.) but it was just long and rolled out of play.


After a foul on the Monks, Kristyn Heuslein (Manchester, N.H.) sent in a free kick on frame that forced Saint Joseph's goalkeeper Jaci Lorenzen to make the save off the crossbar. Four minutes later, senior Desh Perera (Reading, Mass.) beat Lorenzen to the ball in the zone but defenseman Whitney White was there to send the ball out of play. With just over five minutes to play, Desiree Parent collected a pass from Jodi Pollack for an open shot but Hayes made a diving save to keep the game scoreless into halftime.


The Sharks tested Lorenzen early in the second half, with two quick shots by Emily Andrulis (Litchfield, Conn.) and Heuslein but the Monks were able to clear the zone unscathed. Less then ten minutes into the half, Saint Joseph's took advantage of a Sharks foul as White sent a free kick into the Sharks zone that ricocheted off the crossbar. The Sharks cleared the zone and went on the offensive as Perera sent a cross from the left into the Monks zone but Simmons was unable to convert.


With 14 minutes to play in the second half, Berkman drilled a point blank shot at Lorenzen who just got a hand on the ball to deflect it wide of the net. The Monks Ashley Beaulieu had the final shot but Hayes was there for the save as the game went into overtime.


Simmons gained first possession in the third period as Acheson sent a long ball to Gilbert who tested Lorenzen with a shot from the left before Perera crashed the net for the rebound. The Monks cleared their defensive zone and Parent forced Hayes to come out for a save. Berkman added two shots for Simmons and Heuslein sent a free kick wide as both goalkeepers came up big as the stalemate continued into the second overtime.


The Sharks registered three shots on net in the final period but with three minutes to play, Lauren Chouinard sent a free kick from just over half field into the Sharks zone. Danielle Daigle was there for tip past Hayes and to lift the Monks to a 1-0 victory.


Simmons outshot the Monks 45-31 and held a slight advantage in corners, 5-3. Lorenzen made 28 saves in the win, while Hayes posted 20 in the loss.


The Sharks return to action on Oct. 23 at Anna Maria. Game time is set for 7:00 PM.