April 6, 2013

Sharks Fall to Lions, 13-12 in 2OT

BOSTON, Mass. -- Simmons Lacrosse fell to the Emerson College Lions, 13-12 in double overtime Saturday afternoon in a pivotal Great Northeast Athletic Conference matchup at Rotch Field.


The Sharks (6-2, 5-1 GNAC) found themselves down 3-0 early as Emerson's Phebe McKelvey, Tracie Lombardo and Chelsea Phillips each beat Simmons goalkeeper Kelly Last (West Haven, Conn.) for the lead. Simmons freshman Ashley Sheehan (North Attleboro, Mass.) started the Sharks' rebound as she beat Lions goalkeeper Victoria Kanaris on a free position shot. Greer Gilbert (Falmouth, Mass.) and Rachel Wallace (Braintree, Mass.) followed suit, each beating Kanaris on free position shots to tie the game at three with 20 minutes remaining in the half.


The Lions (6-6, 3-2 GNAC) took a brief one-goal lead as Mackenize Johnson buried a shot off a pass from Chelsea Phillips but the Sharks regained the lead off a pair of goals by Stephanie Oliver (Waltham, Mass.). Phillips tied the game at five with a goal off a free position shot with 9:30 left to play but Simmons freshman Hannah McGoldrick (Newton, Mass.) slipped a shot past Kanaris for a 6-5 lead.


With the Sharks down a player due to a yellow card with less than five minutes to play in the half, the Lions capitalized on the man up situation as Tayllar Righini scored a free position shot to tie the game at six. Less than a minute later, Alex Corrado scored off an assist from Phillips to give the Lions a 7-6 lead into halftime.


In the second half, the Lions scored twice in the opening minutes to take a three-goal lead. Simmons cut the lead to one off goals by Wallace and Oliveri with 15 minutes remaining. Maggie Sheetz put the Lions back up by two with a goal on a free position shot before the Sharks scored two straight goals by Callie Warnock (Kingston, Mass.) and Gilbert to send the game into overtime tied at 10.


The Sharks struck first in OT as Wallace beat Kanaris up high to take an 11-10 lead. But the Lions weren't done yet as Libby Murphy tied up the game at 11. Oliveri scored her fourth goal of the game to retake the lead but Tracie Lombardo scored on a free position shot to send the game in sudden death double overtime.


Simmons posted two shots but were unable to convert before Lombardo scored the game winner with 30 seconds remaining to lift the Lions to victory. The Sharks held a 33-28 advantage in shots while the Lions held a slight advantage in draw controls, 15-13.


Simmons returns to action on Wednesday, Apr. 10 when they host GNAC rival Lasell College at 7:00 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop